TFFT’s Full Circle Program has started the initial preparation for an inter-school competition that will take place in the first week of August. Last year, we hosted an essay writing and poster making competition that included participants from 52 primary schools in Meru District. This year, the competition will be for math, science, and essay writing in English and Kiswahili, and will be opened to all secondary schools in Arusha City and Meru District.
This competition will be open to students enrolled in forms 1-4. Each participating school will send 1 contestant for essay writing in English, 1 contestant for essay writing in Kiswahili, and 4 students who will make up a team to compete for the math and science competition. This competition will be open to all government and private secondary schools.
We have set the following objectives in place for this year’s inter-school competition:
- Stimulate enthusiasm and love for math and science
- Provide students with an engaging and challenging experience that is both educational and competitive
- Encourage teachers to teach for mastery of topics as well as practical applications of mathematical and scientific concepts in their classes
- Develop among students the joy and thrill of meeting challenges as well as build their confidence in handling pressure
- Provide feedback to schools and teachers on mastery of topics and gaps in understanding of concepts by students
There will be two rounds for the math and science contest. The first round will be an elimination round, including a written test. The top ten teams will be selected based on the scores from the test. The second round will include have the 10 teams compete in a timed quiz. The top three teams will be awarded first, second, and third prizes.
I will send more updates about the execution of this year’s inter-school competition and subsequent award celebration in August!